Friday, August 20, 2010

Quito!!!

Hi everybody!

I made it safe and sound to Quito this past Tuesday. When we first flew in, I looked out the window and saw the Andes that surround the area. There are 10 active volcanoes that surround Quito. It is a beautiful city with many old Spanish style buildings incorporated with the indigenous culture from the 1600s. Today we took a tour of the historic downtown area and man, was it beautiful. There are tons of old buildings with statues in the middle of the square and 7 churches within several miles of each other. One of the churches had gargoyles outside, but instead of the dragons that you normally see, the gargoyles represented animals of the Galapagos including iguanas, birds, condors, etc. The interior of one of the churches was a lot of gold and statues. I am still in awe at how beautiful it was.

Our group has started orientation in downtown Quito at a hotel. I am getting used to the bus system and have successfully made it back to my host familys house two times now! Go me! It is also really nice because my host mom is the daughter of another volunteer´s host mom so we live a block away from each other and ride in together. Tonight we are going to go downtown and hang out with the group for a couple of drinks. My host family is so sweet. My mom is 35, and her name is Zhelya. She helped me get my luggage from the airport and has shown me nothing but kindness. Her son Luis Miguel or Luismi is such a nice boy. Mariana is too cute and is going to teach me how to cook ecuadorian food!

Orientaiton has been interesting. The last couple of days we have learned about a lot of crime in Quito and how to protect ourself. We had a man from the US embassy come and give a talk. His job is to find missing people so if I go missing he will get me back safely and that is really comforting. We also had someone from the US consulate come too.

I have been so impressed with this program and am really loving it! The people are great and Quito is really cool. I have to go eat dinner now! Thanks for keeping up with me! Another update soon.

Love to you all,

Caitlin

6 comments:

  1. Wow, what an experience! It sounds like you are learning a lot about how to survive in your new surroundings. I'm glad they are teaching you how to navigate your new city. Once you have they ley of the land you can explore safely. I look forward to your next entry. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work learning the bus system so fast! Got any pictures of your new haircut? =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy that you're enjoying yourself out there Caitlin! Be safe. I should have made you watch Proof of Life for some safety pointers but I'm sure you'll be ok. Def take tons of pics because I want to see everything you're talking about. I admit to hitting up google to see where you are :) Miss you lots chica! Keep the updates coming and tell the family HOLA! for me lol
    Lots of Love
    -Kish

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't catch who Mariana is... Luis's sister? All sounds good! Yay!
    ...This is Ruth on Isaac's account : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading the post....stay safe and keep writing! It really sounds like you are adapting well so far. There will be hurdles but I have faith you will be able to overcome whatever comes! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Caitlin,

    It has been fun communicating with you this way, by phone, email and facebook. Skype is next... Love you!

    ReplyDelete